Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Early Morning Rat Race

So much for working at home on Monday and Friday. Today is Tuesday, and that meant doing the early morning scramble that we've been doing for over eight years. It looks something like this:

5:10am: The alarm clock goes off for the first time, and I punch the snooze button after I figure out what that weird noise is.

5:15am: The alarm clock goes off for the second time, and I try to remember whether it's a day I have to get up early or just get to poke Mr. Engineer and tell him he has to get up while I roll over and get more sleep. 

5:20am: OK, that's the third time with the alarm, and the sleep I'm getting now is crappy anyway. I get up and stagger to the bathroom.

5:20-5:30am: Shower. Possibly fall asleep while rinsing my hair. 

5:30am: Wake up Mr. Engineer because it's true that misery loves company. 

5:35am: Let the dogs out and make my cup of decaf. No, it doesn't wake me up like regular coffee does for you folks whose bodies can tolerate it, but I yearn for it every morning anyway.

5:35-5:45am: Check email and FB on my phone while sipping coffee that is too hot. 

5:45am: Let the dogs back in, feed them, and give them water. Sip some more coffee while making myself a lunch. 

6:00am: Give Legoman and Noodle the bad news that morning came again. 

6:05am: Go back into the boys' room and make sure their eyes are actually open. Lay their clothes out and tell them they need to put them on. Give them their breakfast choices and hear two cranky versions of, "I don't know."

6:10am: Insist the boys make a breakfast selection. Make Mr. Engineer's high-test coffee. 

6:15am: Tell the boys it's time to use the bathroom and come to the kitchen table. 

6:20am: Serve the boys breakfast. 

6:20-6:25am: Load all our junk into the trunk of my car.

6:30am: Tell the boys to brush their teeth and put their shoes on. Mr. Engineer, who's been spending this whole time showering and getting dressed, finally appears downstairs to grab his coffee. 

6:35: Leave for day care (school year) or the babysitter's house (summer). 

6:45am: Drop off the boys. Feel like I've done enough work for one day. 

What's your morning routine like? 



No comments:

Post a Comment